Shish Tawouk has to be one of J’s favourite middle eastern dishes. Since J has been raving about the Shish Tawouk from Paramount (A popular middle eastern food joint in Canada), I have decided to get my hands on trying this dish out. For this recipe, I have decided to use Chicken breasts (easier to clean 😉 )However, boneless thigh fillets works for this as well, I’m sure.
For this particular dish, the secret to delicious chicken is all in the marinade. I normally leave the chicken to marinade for about 4 hours or so. Of course, leaving it to marinate overnight is always a good option, so the flavours are thoroughly absorbed into the chicken. As always, when it comes to food, I CANNOT wait overnight! 🙂 4hours is good for me…Ahakz 😛
Just before grilling, put the meat onto skewers and they are good to go. One of the greatest fear with chicken is for it to be undercooked, which leads to the Bacteria issue and food poisoning. As a result of that, we tend to overcook Chicken. For this Shish Tawouk recipe, best is to check at 10 minutes of grilling. Maximum cooking time for this, I would personally recommend about 18minutes, based on personal experience, just so the breast meat doesn’t go tough and dry.
This is one recipe ideal for a Monday as it allows for all prep work to be done the day before and come that Monday lunch or dinner, just heat the grill up and rid them blues by grilling or BBQ-ing them off on the Barbie! This chicken recipe is so versatile that it can be served with a side of almost everything, from rice, to salad, couscous, bread, pasta or even soup! Versatile much, ain’t it? So if you’re looking for a dish to rid them Monday blues, go get grillin’ 😛
- 6 skewer sticks
- 1kg Chicken Breast (cleaned and cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Tomato Paste
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1teaspoon minced ginger
- 6 tablespoons plain yoghurt (Greek yoghurt)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme powder
- Dash of Paprika
- Salt to taste
- Put all ingredients (except chicken) together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add in Chicken.
- Leave to marinade for at least an hour.
- Put Chicken onto skewers just before grilling.
- Grill on a hot plate over a BBQ or in an oven at 210 degrees celsius for 18- 20 minutes, checking at 10minutes and again at 15 minutes.
- Ensure that chicken is being checked at 10 minutes and then again, a few minutes after, to avoid tough, overcooked chicken breast.
- For a thoroughly flavourful chicken, leave to marinade overnight.