The relationship that I have with Chicken is quite a weird one. Some days, I totally feel like Chicken, Chicken and Chicken! Then, there are days, where I just cannot stand the sight and sound of Chicken – totally different from the relationship J or my Maa-ji has with Chicken. They simply love their Chicken and on days when they don’t know what to have, Chicken does the job for them, especially J, whose ultimate favourite is Chicken Breasts over anything else! I have just came to the realization that J’s love for Chicken Breasts is actually to my advantage – very little cleaning needed – easiest part of the chicken to handle!
I used to love Chicken Drumsticks when I was growing up. Maybe partly because, during those growing up days, we were never encouraged to have Chicken Wings – apparently, the wings are the most unhealthy part of the Chicken! Hmmmmm…. Nevertheless I still remember those Barbies where slightly charred Chicken Wings were served – I always looked forward to those! Wings which were charred from all the BBQ-ing, oh yummmmm!
When I started living away from home and had to start doing everything (including Chicken Shopping) independently, I had various adventures with Chicken, right from cleaning to cooking! Of course,there were days when I felt like being way more adventurous and bought a whole Chicken and would spend like a good hour once I got home, thinking of what to do with the whole Chicken as I didn’t want to end up making YET ANOTHER roast! 🙂
From my various adventures with Chicken, these days, I somehow have a preference (when it comes to fried chicken) for Chicken Wing (particularly the mid-joint wing/ Drummet part minus the sharp pointy edge of the actual wing). When I have my Chicken other ways, I have a preference for the thigh part minus the drumstick. Oh just how picky can I be! On another note, I really have no idea what happened to my love for Chicken Drumsticks. I had a bit too many growing up, perhaps! 😛
On new Year’s Day, I really felt like a Barbie! Unfortunately, I did not have access to an actual BBQ pit/ area. I felt like something quick, yummy and ‘finger-licking good’. It came to my mind that, I can still somehow have the same finger-licking goodness in the comfort of my own abode! Say no more, Taaa-daaaaa…. here goes…Bea’s Party Wings 😉 all proudly done in the good old Smeg!
- 10 pieces mid-joint Chicken wings (Cleaned)
- 4 tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey / Maple Syrup
- Dash of freshly ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180º
- Combine all Ingredients except for Chicken in a mixing bowl
- Stir well
- Add in Chicken and marinade through
- Leave to grill in oven for 20minutes
- Serve hot
- Other Chicken parts may also be used for this recipe - cooking time will vary.
- Chicken can be left to marinade overnight or for a few hours for more flavourful chicken.
- Chicken can also be cooked in a grill pan on the stove or on the Barbecue.