My love affair with Cheese goes a long way. Of course, the one responsible for introducing me to Cheese is non other than my Mommydearest and Pops! I am not a milk drinker but heyyyy…..I LOVE Cheese! Be it on its own, in stick-form, in a sandwich, in cake form, cheese dips and also in Pasta dishes. You name it, I will probably absolutely love it! Ahakz 🙂
The sight of Cheese never fails to remind me of one of my favourite Pasta dishes – Lasagne. Each time I see Lasagne on the menu, I just cannot go past it. Lasagne with a side of Salad, oh yummmmmm, simply makes my day! When I think of Lasagne, I think of warm, gooey Cheese, with that springy,stringy tangles of Cheese over pasta and really yumm tomato-based meat sauce. Ohhhh I’m hungry already!
Although in general, Lasagne is a rich dish, there are always ways to tweak things around so that it can be served more often than just being that “once a month treat”, particularly for those who are very much health conscious. When it’s home-made, certain ingredients like the amount of Cheese can be reduced or the type of Cheese can be varied, some of the Pasta layers can be replaced with vegetable options such as Zucchini (for those ‘carb-busters’). In fact, there are many healthy options available for Lasagne Recipes.
Regardless, let’s get into the real thing first today and let’s leave the healthier options for next time! 🙂 For Cheese, Pasta and Lasagne lovers out there, this Lasagne recipe is suitable for lunch or dinner. One of my favourite ways to have it is to have it as packed lunch at work – my favourite all in one dish or even for that weekend dish, when everyone’s home!
- 1 Box Instant Lasagne Sheets 250gms
For the Meat Sauce
- 500 grams minced beef
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 Bulb Garlic crushed
- 1 Onion finely diced
- 2 tins 800grams Canned Tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
For the Cheese Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 125 grams Cheddar / Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 bag Baby Spinach
- 3/4 cup Parmesan / Mozzarella Cheese
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add garlic and onion, fry till soft.
- Add in minced beef and leave to brown.
- Add in all other ingredients and leave to simmer for about 20minutes.
- Melt butter in a separate saucepan.
- Stir in flour and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in milk and ensure mixture is smooth before returning to heat.
- Continue stirring till mixture thickens.
- Add in Mozzarella Cheese and stir (low heat) until all the cheese melts.
Putting it together
- Preheat oven to 180º
- Spoon some meat sauce to the base of a baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of Spinach over meat sauce.
- Place Lasagne Sheet.
- Alternate Layers of Meat Sauce,Spinach, Cheese Sauce and Lasagne sheets. (About 4-5layers)
- Finish off with Parmesan / Mozzarella Cheese
- Bake for about 40 minutes
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving