One of my favourite all time staples, always available in my pantry would be Beehoon or Vermicelli noodles. It is a versatile staple to be stocking up on in the pantry, as it can be served in many different ways. One way I like it served apart from in Salads and Soups would be to have it stir-fried. Even when stir-fried, there are many different ways it can be done.
Here is one of the many ways to quite easily prepare hawker-style Fried Beehoon, which can be quite substantial as a main meal or as a savoury tea-time snack, when served in smaller portions. Of course to add on to the spicy-ness, I normally add on fresh cut chillies which double up as a garnish on my Hawker Style Fried Bee Hoon. Yummylicious!
- 2 tbsp Sunflower Oil Any type of cooking oil is fine
- 2 tbsp dried Chilli paste can be replaced with freeze dried chilli or chilli flakes
- 11/2 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 2 tbsp Onion Paste Ground Onion
- 1/2 Packet Vermicelli Noodles
- 300 grams Minced Meat - optional for vegetarians
- 1 bunch Scallions Spring Onions Chopped - optional
- 1 bunch Bok Choy / Choy Sum
- 1 egg scrambled
- Fry scrambled eggs and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a Wok and fry Chilli paste on medium heat till most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add in Garlic and Ginger Paste and leave to fry till fragrant.
- Add in Onion Paste and leave to fry till most of the oil separates out of the mixture.
- Add in minced meat and leave to cook.
- Add in Noodles and all other ingredients.
- Toss and turn Noodles well so that everything is well combined.
- Ready to serve.
Minced meat can be chicken,beef or lamb, depending on personal preference.